ENGLISH THEATRE MILAN –
A NEW ENGLISH SPEAKING THEATRE COMMUNITY
English Theatre Milan (ETM) is a non-profit association that was set up in July 2019. ETM aims to bring top quality theatre in English to Milan with established professionals from the UK and elsewhere. So far we have worked with theatres in Milan, such as Filodrammtici, Gerolamo, Litta and Milan’s iconic Piccolo Teatro, and we have recently made an agreement with Teatro Menotti, to perform two shows in March and April. We have worked with institutions, like Milan University, British Council, Umanitaria, and currently run our Shakespeare workshop at the All Saints Church.
We produce our own plays, involving professional and non-professional native speakers of English and bilingual actors. ETM curates and promotes activities, such as open rehearsals, meetings with authors and companies, creative writing and performance workshops and masterclasses, run by established practitioners.
Bringing English Theatre to the City of Milan through Innovative Projects
We are developing a challenging and innovative schools project, involving theatre makers from the UK, Italy and elsewhere.
We hope that many people, who enjoy the shows, will want to get involved in our other activities and decide to become ETM members. In 2022, our members numbered around 45, including Brits, Italians, American, Irish, Germans, almost all living in Milan and Lombardy. Members pay a modest annual fee, which along with donations from supporters and ticket sales, allow us to run our activities. They enjoy special discounts on our initiatives.
We welcome members of all ages and backgrounds, with a specific emphasis on young people. Our association aims to create an English speaking theatre community, based on the active participation of its members. Since we do not have our own theatre, ours is a theatre without walls that operates in a variety of theatres throughout the city and in site specific venues.
ETM’s website and a Newsletter, which goes out to around 860 people, keep its members and followers up to date with forthcoming events and shows. We invite members to contribute with their suggestions and ideas.
OUR MOST SIGNIFICANT ACHIEVEMENTS SO FAR
- We have run two successful showcases at Milan’s Gerolamo, in 2019 and 2022, bringing plays from the Edinburgh Fringe Festival to Milan. For details, see our Productions page.
- We were among the first practitioners during lockdown to produce online shows: for Shakespeare’s Conflict Zones, we were able to involve professional actors from around the world, including two who have worked with the Royal Shakespeare Company; we also developed an online version of the 19th century farce, Box and Cox, with a Scottish cast. The latter visited the Space during the Edinburgh online Fringe in 2021: to commemorate the 700th anniversary of Dante’s death, together with poet Stephen Sexton of Queen’s University, Belfast, we devised an online show, Reading and chanting Dante, including a narrative and fragment’s of Dante’s Inferno, in English, Italian and Sardinia.
- Established UK professionals like Gareth Armstrong, Anna Marie di Mambro, Tim Hardy, Guy Masterson, Bianca Mastrominico-John Dean, and Matthew Zajac have led masterclasses on a variety of topics: performing, directing and producing one person shows, writing for television and developing online plays.
OUR GOALS FOR 2023
- We will present award winning actor Gerard Logan’s Night Terrors at the 500 seater Teatro Menotti in March.
- We will present our in house production, Hilde. Living without love. Songs by Marlene Dietrich, in April at Teatro Menotti. We hope to transfer the play to the 2023 Edinburgh Fringe.
- In April our in house production of Shakespeare’s As You Like it, with Music and Songs will play in a garden and theatres. This reduced version of Shakespeare’s comedy has an all-female cast.
- In autumn we are planning our 3rd showcase of plays, “Straight from the Edinburgh Fringe”. The selection will be made by a group of English Theatre Milan members who will attend the Fringe with us.
- We wish to develop further our schools network and are seeking partners.